Sunday, January 25, 2009

The "O" word in Kenya

In Kenya "O" is not about oprah's magazine. It is about orphanages.

Yesterday and new friend and I went to visit an orphanage near Bomet. It was sobering. Apparently there are 4 orphanages around here, this being the poorest. About 40 children, ages 3 to 16 greeted us with broad smiles at the gate which hung by a wire, an indication of the horrible conditions we found inside. The children themselves looked nourished, a good sign of some love coming from the one woman who is in charge of the entire place. They led us into the "dining hall" and sang for us and then introduced themselves, told their age and that they loved Jesus. Perhaps it is a performance that they give for all their visitors, but it brought tears to my eyes. Thankfully we know that God loves and calls us all by name, and that He loves each one of these children as well.

After they sang we saw where they sleep, the small ones 2 and 3 to a bed and the kitchen. It consisted of 2 big pots over a wood fire where beans were cooking for lunch. Rice would be added when the beans were done.

They asked me many questions about America. How long does it take to get there?. How many children do I have (I promised to take pictures of them when I return)? I asked them if they had heard of the other "O" word, Obama and of course they had! They wanted to know when I would return and I promised to bring Marv in 2 weeks. Perhaps we can think of some games to play or he can do his famous spoon trick to entertain them as there is nothing, absolutely nothing for them to do at this place. To make matters worse, the teachers remain on strike in Kenya and so they aren't even in school during the week.

We walked to our waiting car to go back to Tenwek and Marcy followed us. She is beautiful and has an infectious smile. I asked her how old she was and found out that she is finishing 8th grade, 13 years old, I think. When you finish 8th grade in this educational system you have to take a comprehensive test in order to go on to secondary school. It is very difficult, but the only avenue to a future here. She asked me if I would pray for her that she will pass her exam. She has nothing, absolutely nothing, in this world and wants to pass more than anything. We in the West have so much and so many opportunities.....Please, please remember this little Kenyan girl in your prayers. Thanks.

love you all,
micki

1 comment:

  1. Mom and Dad,

    Thanks for this powerful note. I am sure that was a very powerful experience. Those situations are difficult. We wll be praying for the kids.

    Love,

    John and Anna

    ReplyDelete